History of the School
1840 - Sir Charles Napier arrives in Karachi and lays
the foundations for the
social, economic and cultural development of
1847 - Rev. H. Brereton, the first Chaplain of Karachi,
starts a class from which
1854 - The School is formally constituted by Sir Henry
Bartle Frere and reopens
as the Karachi European and Indo-European
1871 - The earliest recorded reference to the School’s
motto, Indocti Discant:
‘Let the unlearned learn’ (a quotation from
1875 - The School moves into purpose-built premises,
(the present Saddar
building) largely due to the efforts of Rev.
1879 - The name is changed to Karachi Grammar School.
1893 - The first Old Grammarian (as far as we know) to
gain a Masters degree at
university: Matilda Hunt, MA (Bombay).
1912 - The first student (Bernard Tobin) takes the
Senior Cambridge School
- “The Shed” is built as a temporary place for
large gatherings behind the
main School building.
1916 - The top floor is added to the School building.
1925 - Electricity is installed in the School.
1927 - The First Athletic Sports is held.
1929 - The House system is introduced: originally named
A, B and C and
changed the following year to Napier, Frere
and Streeton. (Streeton was
the first Cock House).
1936 - The first issue of The
Grammarian is published.
1942 - The First Art Exhibition is held.
1947 - INDEPENDENCE OF PAKISTAN.
- The Centenary of Karachi Grammar School.
1949 - The War Memorial Block is opened at the rear of
the School courtyard.
1956 - The School crest is changed to its present form.
1962 - A new purpose-built Kindergarten is opened on
the Holy Trinity
1963 - New Science laboratories are completed.
1983 - The first computer arrives at School.
1987 - Cambridge examinations are brought forward to
1991 - The Kindergarten Section moves from the
and the Junior Section from Saddar to
combine in purpose-built premises
1999 - A new College Section is created for O-/A-level
students in purpose-built
premises at Clifton; the Middle Section
(Classes VII-IX) remains in Saddar.
- A new House is created in memory of Mr J L
Papworth, OBE, Music
Teacher, Vice-Principal, Bursar and
2000 - The first students gain ‘Top of the World’
Awards from Cambridge
2005 - A major programme of modernisation at the Middle
2008 - Additional AV-Rooms opened in the Kindergarten
and Middle Sections
and a Lecture Hall in the College Section.
2009 - Three sports courts are added at the Middle
2010 - ICT facilities are upgraded in the Kindergarten
and Junior Sections.